If you’ve made the decision to straighten your teeth with Invisalign…Congratulations! It’s a wonderful alternative to traditional braces that can give you the results you’re after without the discomfort and hassle normally associated with orthodontics. But now that you’ve started the process, how can you take care of your Invisalign trays so that you get the most out of the experience? From a cosmetic dentist in Astoria, we’ll discuss the do’s and don’ts of maintaining your trays and the importance of complying with all the recommendations. That way, you’ll get the best results in the shortest amount of time possible!
How Can You Take Care of Your Invisalign Trays?
Despite the fact that you only wear your trays for an average of two weeks before moving on to the next set, it’s still important to keep them in great shape!
Here are some things you should do for maintenance:
- Keep your teeth and gums clean and healthy by brushing at least twice a day and flossing once. If your teeth have accumulated deposits of plaque and tartar they can be transferred to your trays.
- Rinse your trays with water each time they come out of your mouth.
- Be gentle but thorough when it comes to brushing your trays to avoid scratches.
- Soak your trays on a regular basis with the cleaning solution recommended by your dentist.
Here are some things to avoid:
- Don’t brush your trays with toothpaste, as it can be too abrasive. Only use water, gentle soap and light pressure when brushing.
- Don’t drink anything but water while wearing your trays. Soda, juice, coffee, tea and red wine can stain them.
- Don’t clean the trays with any soap that has a color or scent in it that can adhere to them.
How Can You Make Sure You Get Great Results?
One of the biggest potential downfalls of Invisalign is not wearing the trays enough each day. Don’t forget that Invisalign in Astoria is a substitute for braces. Braces work because they’re on the teeth 24 hours a day. The uninterrupted pressure they apply is what is responsible for the movement of the teeth!
Of course, it’s much more preferable if you can avoid brackets and wires 24 hours a day. That’s why Invisalign is such an excellent choice. You have a little more control, so if you want to eat something like corn on the cob or have photographs taken, you can simply take your trays out.
The problem arises when people become too lax about keeping them in for the recommended minimum of 22 hours a day. This can mean that your results taking longer than originally anticipated.
But with a little care and making sure you’re wearing your trays enough each day, you’ll be able to achieve the smile you’ve always wanted without wearing braces!
About the Author
Dr. Eduart Shkurti is a general, cosmetic and restorative dentist who loves being able to offer modern dental options like Invisalign to all of his patients. He understands the impact that a straight, beautiful smile can have on the confidence and quality of life of anyone with crowded or crooked teeth. If you have any further questions about the Invisalign process, he can be reached through his website or at (718) 767-4079.