Are you hesitant to undergo orthodontic treatment because you want to avoid the hassle of metal wires and brackets? Well, we’ve got good news for you – you don’t have to deal with any of that! Thanks to Invisalign, you can discreetly and comfortably work towards a straighter, healthier smile. For successful treatment, you’ll need to wear these clear aligners no less than 22 hours per day. Although that may seem like a long time, here are some actions you can take to easily meet Invisalign wear time in Astoria. <
How Does Invisalign Work?
First and foremost, it’s important to understand how Invisalign works. The modern orthodontic treatment uses a series of clear aligners to gently guide your teeth into their ideal positions. Each set of trays is worn for a predetermined amount of time, usually about two weeks. They apply gentle pressure to a portion of your smile until it is fully aligned. You’ll visit your dentist approximately every six weeks to ensure everything is running smoothly and going according to plan.
The Importance of Meeting Your 22-Hour Wear Time
Invisalign gently moves teeth into better alignment via small shifts that occur over several months or longer. The reason why these movements are so gentle is that it ensures the patient feels minimal discomfort throughout the treatment process. Since the aligners are only effective when they’re in contact with teeth, they must be worn for at least 20-22 hours to achieve the desired results. With that being said, the plastic trays are designed with the assumption that patients will comply with this rule. Neglecting to stick with your treatment plan can lead to complications, discomfort, and even treatment delays.
Tips for Staying on Track with Your Plan
Some people find it difficult to meet the recommended 22-hour wear time. Here are some Invisalign tips in Astoria that can make this feat easily achieved:
- Remove the aligners for a set amount of time. Taking them out for 15 minutes at breakfast, 30 minutes at lunch, and 60 minutes at dinner will provide you with some extra time each day for eating or cleaning your teeth.
- Use an app. An app called Tray Minder can help you track your wear time throughout the day.
- Multitask while wearing the aligners. When your trays aren’t in your mouth, consider placing them in a glass of water with cleaning crystals so they can disinfect while you’re eating.
- Practice good oral hygiene. It’s strongly recommended that you brush, floss, and rinse immediately following your meals and before you slip your aligners back in your mouth.
- Advance to the next set of trays before bed. By doing so, you can sleep through the initial discomfort and avoid the urge to take your trays out.
Meeting the recommended Invisalign wear time in Astoria isn’t as difficult as you may think. By following the tips outlined above, you can easily stay on track with your treatment plan and have the smile of your dreams in no time!
About the Author
Dr. Eduart Shkurti earned his dental doctorate from the University of Southern California. A member of the American Dental Association, he is a supporter of Doctors without Borders© and is fluent in English and Albanian. If you are interested in Invisalign, it has numerous benefits such as natural appearance, comfort, no hassle, and reduced appointment time. To schedule a consultation, visit his website or call (718) 806-1662.